You will only need to read the following parts of the book (of course, I would love it if you were inspired to read the whole book, but to complete the assignment below you will have to read: The Introduction, Chapters 1 and 6, a total of. The Introduction to a book is always important to read because it sets the tone and the themes of the work. The two chapters I have chosen contain very interesting information about the lives of the shipbuilders which I hope you will enjoy reading. You will need to answer study questions each one a solid paragraph of several (three to four) sentences.
The book is
So this is the initial question you need to answer:Â Who is Robert C. Davis and why should we believe anything he says in the book,Â Shipbuilders of the Venetian Arsenal?
1. What is the meaning of arsenalotti (please include in this the origins of the word Arsenal) and who were they?
2. What attracted foreign visitors to the Arsenal?
3. Throughout what time and place did the arsenalotti function?
4. How was the Arsenal workforce important to European, not just Venetian, history?
1. What was the basic structure of the Arsenal?
2. What is a guild and how were the workers organized into that particular labor unit?
3. What changes did the Arsenal workplace undergo over the years it was operational?
4. What larger events outside the Arsenal influence these changes?
5. What was the Collegietto both in composition and purpose?
6. What was the significance of “Saint Monday”?
7. What were the working conditions like in the Arsenal?
8. What advantages and privileges did the arsenalotti experience?
9. What factors contributed to the decline in quality of the workforce?
10. What interested you most about the formation and nature of the Arsenal workplace?