Write an argument essay on the topic” Should social media be regulated?”
- 1,200-1,500 word essay (4-5 pages)
- An interesting and informative title
- A clearly stated thesis in the introduction that articulates your position and what you want to argue in your paper.
- Logical and clear reasons supporting your argument
- A document formatted in correct MLA format
5 sources (peer-reviewed journals, books, and reliable web sources)
- One of your sources must disagree with your argument and be used to create a counterargument. A counterargument occurs when you show what the opposing side claims and then refutes that side. For instance, if I am arguing that public schools should require children to be vaccinated unless a documented medical reason prohibits vaccination, then I might cite a source that argues that vaccinations are dangerous. I would show one or two main reasons the source gives and then show why those reasons are invalid as I prove my point about the need for vaccines.
- A refutation of opposing arguments (in the counterargument)
- A synthesis of sources; do not simply summarize your source material, but show how they are connected and respond to them.
- A works cited page in MLA format with corresponding in-text citations. The works cited page should be included in the same document as your essay.
If you fail to meet the minimum requirements, you should not expect to earn higher than a D on the essay (but perhaps much lower).