Unit VII Essay
Expository Essay Draft
Write a 1000-1500-word essay about a topic of your choice in the style described within Unit VI and VII.
Purpose: Throughout Units VI and VII, we have discussed the conventions of the expository essay. The purpose of this assignment is to measure your mastery of those conventions by putting your knowledge to practice. As we discussed in Unit VI, Lesson 1, the expository essay is a general term for an essay that expounds upon or explains a topic. The objective of the essay is to convey information to the reader; most importantly, an expository essay is an exploration of a topic, and the tone is explanatory. After choosing your topic, you will need to choose the form that is most appropriate to fit the topic: cause and effect, problem and solution, or sequential. A thesis statement, which contains the paper s argument, will be appropriate to the form you choose.
Process: For the expository essay, you will complete the following steps:
- Choose a topic: See Unit VI, Lesson 2, for more information about choosing a topic.
- Create a plan of action: See Unit VI, Lesson 3, for strategies for assessing what you already know and assessing what you need to know.
- Research the topic: See Unit VI, Lesson 4, for instruction on research methods.
- Choose the organization of your essay: Choose between cause and effect, problem and solution, or sequential organization types. See Unit VI, Lesson 1, for a list of the three organizational forms, and see Unit VII, Lesson 1, for a description of thesis statements written according to the organizational form of the essay.
- Create a thesis statement: See Unit VII, Lesson 1, for a description of thesis statements written according to the organizational form of the essay.
- Draft the essay: See Unit VII, Lesson 1, for keeping brainstorming in mind and Unit VII, Lesson 2, for more on the drafting process and description of each essay section.
Stylistic details: All essays must meet the following requirements:
- Include 1000-1500 words.
- Write in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font.
- Include one-inch margins on all sides.
- Use double spacing (top-to-bottom every page, to include above and below titles and centered words).
- Include an APA title page (for all essays) and reference list that includes all of the sources used in the essay.
- Include page numbers (upper-right corner only).
- Adhere to APA convention and documentation style.
- At least one source is required. All sources used must be cited.
The following document will assist you in creating this assignment: