Recognizing Fake News and Disinformation
The Week 2 Lesson has two parts, exploring types of digital information and sources and fake news and disinformation (CO3). One of the most important skills we learn as adults is information literacy and the ability to evaluate sources and recognize if these sources are accurate.
For this week s forum, we are exploring websites that check information for bias, misinformation, and possible fake news misinformation. Go to the following websites and review the methodology they use to test information for accuracy.
- Our Process at FactCheck.org
- Methodology at Media Bias/Fact Check
- Transparency at Snopes.com
After you have looked over these websites and reviewed the methodology of each website, please answer the following:
- Which website do you find has the best way to review information for accuracy?
- Do any of these websites have any gaps in their methodology?
- Why is it important for everyone to be able to evaluate information?